The Allegany Fire Department is a Volunteer Fire Department which proudly protects over 10000 people living in an area of over 100 square miles. The Fire Department operates out of 1 station that protects a primarily residential area. The department is a public department whose members are on a volunteer status.
The Allegany Fire Department proudly covers over 100 square miles including the towns of Allegany and Humphrey. We also cover the campus of St. Bonaventure University with Fire and EMS. We serve citizens with assistance for fires, accidents, ambulance calls and other varieties of emergency type calls.
Willard Hook & Ladder Company formed the Allegany Fire Department on February 19, 1890. The Company volunteered for 13 years before a fire destroyed the station on February 20, 1903. By March of 1909, volunteers, using hand drawn-equipment organized Allegany Hose Company #1. The Company was housed on West Main Street at the corner of North Fifth Street (currently the Catalano Plumbing Bldg.), where it remained until 1959. In 1959, the Engine Company moved to its newly built Fire Hall on North First Street, where it still remains today. In 1971, the Engine Company began building a Club House at 45 Maple Avenue which was damaged during the flood of 1972. On June 13, 1978, the Company purchased the property at 45 North First Street. This property included a residence that is currently rented to St. Bonaventure University students. The house has property behind it which is the site of the Fireman's Memorial Park. The park is open to the community.
In 1989, the Fireman's Community Center was built. It was designed to be used as a reception hall for the local community and for the firemen's new clubhouse. In 1996, the Fire Department renamed the Community Center the Robert H. Livingston Community Center. Robert H. Livingston was the Fire Department's oldest active firefighter at the time. Livingston was also instrumental in the design and construction of the building and was the caretaker for many years. (photo of Mr. Livingston on right) The Allegany Engine Company Rescue Squad was also created.
In 1990, the Town of Allegany formed a Fire District governed by a Board of Fire Commissioners. The Fire Commissioners are elected into office and handle all legal, financial and public affairs of the Fire Department.